Wednesday, February 18, 2015

The Ferial Office During Lent

This year, during the season of Lent, we will pray the ferial office 18 times.  In the Dominican Breviary, the ferial office in Epiphany season is similar to that of the Roman Breviary, with slight differences.  The hymn at Matins is different, as are some of the Little Chapters.

The ferial days in Lent (Quadragesima) are III Class, and take precedence over III Class feasts of saints and blesseds.  So when the III Class feast of a saint or blessed occurs on the calendar, a commemoration is made of that feast.

February and March are wonderful months in the Dominican sanctorale, even in the 1962 calendar.  The month starts off with the Anniversary of our Mothers and Fathers on February 6.  Then, we have a wonderful grouping of St. Catherine de Ricci, Bl. Jordan of Saxony, and Bl. Henry Suso.  February finishes out with Bl. Reginald, one of St. Dominic's close companions.

And though March is a sparse month in the sanctorale, it does contain the feast of the Angelic Doctor on March 7.  This feast, which temporarily lightens the heaviness of the penitential season of Lent is 1st Class in the Dominican Rite.  It takes precedence over the ferial days of Lent, so we only make a commemoration of the ferial office (error alert on my calendar!!) at Lauds and Vespers.  


The ferial office during Lent is prayed as follows:


Matins
Inv.  The mighty God, the Lord: * come, let us adore.
Hymn:  O only hope of all below…(Smmi largítor prǽmii…)
Psalms and antiphons of the day, with . of Lent, as in the Psalter.  Te Deum is not said.

Lauds
Before Lauds .  They shall bear you upon their hands.  .  Lest you strike your foot against a stone.

Little Chapter (Joel. 2):  “Return to me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning; and rend your hearts and not your garments,” says the Lord almighty.

Hymn:  O Sun of Justice, Christ your ray… (Iam Christe, sol iustíæ…)
.  His faithfulness is buckler and shield.  .  You will not far the terror of the night.
At Bened. proper antiphon.
Preces are said
Proper prayer

At Pretiosa, the Rule is read.
At the Hours, antiphons of Lent as in the Psalter

Prime
Ant.  As I live says the Lord, I will not the death of a sinner, but rather that he be converted and live.

Terce
Ant.  The days of penance have come to us that sins may be atoned for and souls may be healed.

Little Chapter as in Lauds
During the first and second weeks.
.  Make me, O God, a friend of all who revere you and * who obey your precepts.  .  Turn and show me our mercy; show justice to your friends. – Who obey. - Glory. – Make me, O God, a friend.
.  He says to the Lord: “My refuge.”  .  My stronghold, my God.
During the third and fourth weeks.
.  It was good, O Lord, for me to be afflicted; * the law from your mouth means more to me than silver and gold.  .  It was your hands that made me and shaped me: help me to learn your commands. – The law from your mouth. - Glory. – It was good, O Lord.
.  He says to the Lord: “My refuge.”  .  My stronghold, my God.
Preces are said
Prayer as in Lauds.

Sext
Ant.  We commend ourselves through great endurance, in much hunger, through the weapons of righteousness.

Little Chapter (Is. 55):  Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have mercy on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
During the 1st and 2nd weeks:
. I turn my feet from evil paths, * to obey your commands, Lord.  .  I have not turned away from your decrees, you yourself have taught me. – To obey. – Glory.  I turn my feet.
. It is he who will free you from the snare of the fowler.  .  Who seeks to destroy you.

During the 3rd and 4th weeks:
. I am your servant, * make me understand, Lord.  .  Then I shall know your will. – Make me. – Glory. – I am.  .  I am.
. It is he who will free you from the snare of the fowler.  .  Who seeks to destroy you.
Preces are said.
Prayer as in Lauds.

None
Ant.  We commend ourselves through great endurance, in much hunger, through the weapons of righteousness.

Little Chapter (Is. 58):  “Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see the naked, to cover him, and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?” says the Lord Almighty.
During the 1st and 2nd weeks:
.  Seven times a day I praise you, Lord my God; * do not utterly lose me.
.  I am lost like a sheep; seek your servant, for I remember your commands. – Do not utterly lose me. – Glory. – Seven times.
.  He will conceal you with his pinions.  .  And under his wings you will find refuge.

During the 3rd and 4th weeks:
.  O God, make know to us * your mercy.
.  The unfolding of your word give light, Lord. – Your mercy. – Glory. – O God, make known to us your mercy.
.  He will conceal you with his pinions.  .  And under his wings you will find refuge.
Preces are said.
Prayer as in Lauds.

Vespers
Psalms and antiphons as in the Psalter
Little Chapter (Joel. 2):  “Return to me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning; and rend your hearts and not your garments,” says the Lord almighty.

Hymn:  O maker of the world… (Audi, benígne Cónditor…)

.  For you has God commended his angels.  .  To keep you in all your ways.

At Magn. Proper antiphon.
Preces are said.
Proper Prayer.

Compline
Psalms and antiphon as on the weekday.  Remainder as noted in the Ordinary, with changes for Lent as noted.