Sunday, March 6, 2016

1st Vespers of St. Thomas Aquinas

Just a quick note on 1st Vespers late this afternoon, since we have a concurrence between 2nd Vespers of the 4th Sunday of Lent (1st Class) and 1st Vespers of St. Thomas Aquinas (1st Class).

As I read the Table of Concurrences in the Breviary, we pray the office of 2nd Vespers of the 4th Sunday of Lent, and make a commemoration of 1st Vespers of St. Thomas Aquinas.

Ever since I have been writing this blog, the Feast of St. Thomas has fallen on a weekday, so it typically takes precedence over the feria...even in Lent.  However, it got me to thinking about an occasion where his feast falls on a Sunday of Lent.  It looks like his feast fell on a Sunday in 2010, and it is scheduled to do so again in 2021.   As I read the Table of Occurrences, the Sunday of Lent would be celebrated and St. Thomas' feast would actually be transferred.

If I have that wrong, I'd love to hear from some of you readers.  A happy feast of St. Thomas Aquinas to all of you who read this blog.